Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dr. Seuss' Map

‎"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."- Dr. Seuss

Why so often, do I go looking for who I am when the answer is just ME? Why do I feel so inadequate that I plan out a journey to discover myself, when I already AM? All too often I get so caught up in discovering who I am as a person that I forget I already AM as a person. I look for adventure and anything to answer part of my question while the very answer I'm seeking travels with me every step I search. I'm so intent on finding the answer that I fail to see - I AM the answer.
I look everywhere! I look in other people's views of me- friends, family, and nobodies alike. I look in the world's standard of a person. I look in author's representations of the "perfect person" or "perfect Christian." I look at magazines, websites, friend networking sites, ANYTHING! So often I feel like I've traveled the world again and again, seeking who it is I am and who I'm suppose to be, all the while I have been and continue to be. All the while, if I'd stop looking and see - I'd get my answer.
Maybe it won't be the answer I want. Maybe it won't look how I'd like. But the answer doesn't have to be stagnate. In fact - if the answer WERE stagnate life would be over. The sheer fact that the answer will grow and change is the very evidence that I am alive!
I've spent my life looking for life - all the while having it and wasting it. Life is as I am. I've spent so much time making sure I took every proper step that I haven't gotten anywhere. I've spent my life breathing and trying to figure out why I can't see oxygen instead of using the fact that - it works!- and running with it.
I've spent my life looking for me instead of being me.
I don't want that anymore. And step by step - I'm going to try to live. To be me. The me I am. And maybe keep in my head a little of Dr. Seuss' advice... "there is no one alive who is youer than you."

No comments: