Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm still alive!

Wow - ok. So I'm not as good at this whole blogging thing as I thought I would be. lol. I thought I was going to have to work to keep myself off of it, which in a way is true. So many things happen that I want to keep you all up to date on, it's just when I have time, I don't use it to blog - go figure. Well here I am.

The past few weeks have been insanely busy! From the ever festive Thanksgiving to the ever dreaded finals week. But first things first.

Thanksgiving was wonderful! It came at the perfect time, you know - the one where you're sitting there going "If I have to take one more SECOND of this...!" You fill in the blank. I got out of class, ran to the basement of my building to get my laundry, ran up to my room pack and threw everything in the car. I was taking one of my bestest friends home with me for the formal "Thanksgiving Day" then we were going to go to her grandparents on historic Melrose plantation on Friday. It was a blast! We got to my house and did nothing and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't remember the last time I had nothing to do and it was an amazingly refreshing time. I got to see some friends and basically just hang out with my family. Friday morning we left for Jenna's grandparents. Five hours of country overkill later after a kinda-sorta-but-not-really detour (we thought we were lost - we weren't) we arrived at the sodden plantation. Nothingness reigned once again! It was lovely. Even the damp weather couldn't pull my mood down and I relished in not having anything to do. I even got some homework done (gasp!) ;' ) ! We left LA on Sunday morning at nine and headed back to school. We couldn't be back until 2 (when they opened the dorms) and it was only a four hour drive, so when Jen asked if we could drive around Alexandria for a bit, no objection came from me. We lost track of time just driving and talking. We found her grandparent's old house and stopped by Burger King for a snack. The real fun started when we decided to get back on the road. I had no clue where we were, and we had no map. I had been counting on the fact that Jen knew where we were, but, she informed me, she hadn't been there since she was 15! Heading the general direction we agreed the highway HAD to be in, we were delighted to finally stumble upon said highway. Merging off the exit ramp however, our joy was once again changed back to confusion when we realized we had gotten off the highway at exit 88, we needed to take exit 86, and we were currently at exit 72. Bewildered as to how that worked, we simply decided to turn around and take the correct exit, simple, right? No. Never simple - where's the fun in that? There was no exit 86 in the opposite direction. So what do we do? We got down to exit 90 something and turn around! Yay us! We CAN do this! Getting back on the highway, in the correct direction we find and take exit 86. Driving a little further we started looking around... things were starting to look familiar... I know we passed that water tower. I looked down the directions a little bit and laughed out loud. One of those "you've GOT to be kidding me" laughs. Jen looked at me - bracing herself to have to turn around again. I just handed her the directions. "MEAGAN!" Jen looked at me in disbelief. Where we currently were was exactly where we had been thirty minutes ago trying to figure out how to get back on the highway. So our little 20 minute detour turned into a two hour ordeal that placed us exactly where we had started. Fun to look back on though! We got back to campus at about 4 having made a 4 hour drive a 6 hour adventure.

I went to bed Sunday night bracing myself for a crazy week. Jen, Jess and I were all in the Christmas play on campus and our first performance was Monday afternoon. The play was a blast! We gave 8 performances in 4 days (needless to say - we were kept busy). Here on campus, those of us who are not performing arts majors, fondly refer to the theatre/music/art building as "the black hole". Mostly because if you go in - you're lucky to come out. All freshmen at our school are required to take a performing arts basic class as a core class. Which art is up to you. I choose Music Appreciation. That class met right before I was suppose to be in the basement of the same building for the play. Short and sweet - I was in the black hole from 1-9 on Monday. Ya - crazy! The play was a blast, but wore us all out. You can ask any of us - we can't wait till next year - but we're glad this one's over! We performed "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever". It's an adorable story and I highly recommend you check it out if you can. It was so popular that each show sold out before we even open the doors, we also gave three private performances for local schools. We already have requests for next year from three more schools and we may be taking it on tour one weekend! How cool would that be! So that all ended Thursday afternoon.

Friday I woke up, went to class, packed and left town again with another friend - Lauren, or Lo, as we like to call her. She took me home with her to see The Nutcracker. I was super excited because the Nutcracker is one of my favorite Christmas stories, but I had never seen it before. It was put on by Lo's old dance company so we went to the dress rehearsal on Friday night after getting in at about 7. It was fun to see all the backstage stuff going on. I'm definitely a backstage girl. I love "behind the scenes" and I'd defiantely rather be in the shadows than the spotlight, so being able to go behind the scenes was an extra special treat to the already full excitement of seeing the Nutcracker for the first time. We got back from practice around 11 after a Wal-mart run. We decided to make some cupcakes for the bake sale at the show the next day. We were up until midnight-ish having a blast making a mess... I mean - cupcakes. We waited until the morning to frost and sprinkle them - we wanted to make sure they had time to cool. We got up Saturday around 10:30. It was the first time in two weeks I hadn't just woken up at 7:56 and I was so happy! We had breakfast - well - kinda! We had frosting and a cupcake while we decorated the rest! lol. We wrapped up all 18 cupcakes that survived (ie - didn't get eaten by us) individually in green plastic wrap and tied each with red and green curling ribbon for the sale - not easy task - but fun! We then proceeded to get dressed for the performance. Being able to dress up a little was a bunch of fun and made me feel very festive! The Nutcracker was beautiful! I was so happy to be able to go see it for the first time with such a sweet friend! We left almost right after the show. We went back to Lo's house, packed, and hit the road - back to school again.

Once we got back to campus, I lugged my backpack up to my room , and promptly started writing a Wal-mart list - I'm sick. Yay! Not.

So - that's what I've been up to. Now it's finals week and I just keep reminding my self - "finals are just another test - nothing any different." Ya- I gotta work on that. Wish me luck!

God Bless,

Meagan

No comments: