Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Lifetime of a Moment

This is a post, I wrote while at camp this summer, but wasn't able to put on here until now...

---

The Lifetime of a Moment

I was walking across campus tonight and noticed that the night sky was unusually bright. It was perfect. For any of you who know me, that’s a HUGE hug from God to me. I love it.
My mind wandered to the girls I’m working with this week. Two of them are unsaved and one has managed to test me in every way possible – and it’s only day one! Day one of week six! It’s incredible to believe how long it’s been, I’ve never been much of a summer girl, so the fact that I’m working through my summer to the effect of basically not having one hasn’t really bothered me. But on week six, it’s finally hitting. I’m realizing that, selfishly, I’d kinda like a break that lasted longer than two days split over three. I look around and I see my fellow workers reading books and carrying on much desperately desired adult conversation while their children play, contentedly enough, a few yards away. My own fleshly desires scream to join them and right when I decide it’s really ok if I “slack” a little (I mean this is a DESERVED slack if anything EVER was!) My sweet little trouble child runs up, tackling me in a hug and voicing yet another complaint. I don’t know whether to smother her in an instinctive embrace or scream because she’s about put me at wit’s end! I struggle with coddling and providing the love she’s crying out for and shooting down her incessant whining. How do I show God’s love while refusing to permit a negative environment? I wish I could just grab a book and tell her to go play. But this is a moment – handed to me on a silver tray. Yes, it’s week six. Yes, if it’s possible I “deserve” a break. But it hits me and I realize: every moment I take for me, I take FROM her. From this precious treasure I’ve been given for the short span of four days spread over five. Every moment I take for me – I steal from her. Time stands still like it does with the literal and actual realization of every moment. Like when you realize right after “I do” that you’re actually married. Like when you see your child’s face for the first time and realize there’s no going back. Like the instant the headlights are all you see and the next moment is black. The realizations that make you catch your breath.
Now, I’m not talking about self-negligence. I’ll be the first to tell you that you can’t help others if you haven’t taken care of yourself. But think about it. The chance to take advantage of every moment and change a life for eternity! WOW! What an opportunity! What an honor! And yet we live our lives waiting for the “moment of a lifetime!” while the lifetime of each moment passes us steadily by. I hug her back and manage some sort of effort at turning her thoughts to positive things using godly reasoning. My flesh rolls its eyes and I am reminded that I am called to walk in the Spirit and not of my own strength. I call on Him and set my book down. I’ve been given the privilege of modeling and presenting the most important thing in the world to these girls and I have less than a week to do it. And I’ve been given the privilege of seeing the lifetime of a moment.
“Do not grow weary in doing what is right for in due time we will reap the reward if we faint not.” ~Gal 6:9

---

Two days later, my precious little girl accepted Christ as her personal "boss and rescuer" <3>

No comments: